Prior to practicing in Uganda, even in an educational or managerial role, any nurse or midwife who trained outside the country must be registered with the Uganda Nurses and Midwives Council (UNMC). To do this you need to follow the procedure described below:
Submit a full set of supporting documents – ideally prior to arrival in Uganda:
- A letter of request for registration stating where and when you will be working in Uganda and the part of the register/roll you wish to be considered for.
- Contact details – ideally include an email address.
- A copy of your certificate of registration – original to be brought at time of interview.
- Verification of your current license from your registration body – where there is one; please use the attached form.
- A transcript of training showing theoretical and clinical hours.
- A brief CV outlining post registration experience and skills.
- Reference from present employer.
- For those applying for temporary registration – less than 3 months require a letter from the Ugandan licensed nurse/midwife who is accepting responsibility to supervise your practice whilst in Uganda; with a copy of their certificate.
- A copy of photographic ID if certificate does not carry a photograph original to be brought at time of interview.
- 3 black and white passport photographs – 5cm x 5.5cm.
- For candidates whose first language is not English and nurse training was not conducted in English – a copy of IELTS pass at level 6.0 or higher – the original to be brought at time of interview.
All documents in languages other than English should have a verified translation.
Once a full set of documents have been provided to the UNMC you will be invited to attend for interview with the registration and enrolment committee – these normally take place the first Wednesday of the month; you may wish to time your arrival in Uganda taking this into consideration. An exception to this may be made where the period of assignment in Uganda is very short.
There is a fee for the interview of USD 50;
Temporary Registration License Fee is USD 100 after thorough verification of professional documents and the Application form can be obtained here http://unmc.ug/download/Temporary%20Registration.pdf
This fee covers a presentation about health care in Uganda, the role of the Council and will cover the limited license allowing you to practice under supervision during the period of attachment. Following the interview you will be required to undertake a period of supervised attachment prior to registration with the UNMC. Once you have successfully completed the objectives of the attachment you will be able to register your qualification with the Council. The fee for registration is USD 200 per qualification, which includes the full license fee for your first 3 years of practice in Uganda.